Go beyond commercial photography rates and into conscious estimating
Estimating on photo jobs is a meaty topic and this video is going straight for the heart. We are not just talking numbers here. We are talking about how to estimate from a conscious place. This interview is with Los Angeles photo producer + creative coach Lynn Campbell. Be sure to watch the video to find out what we talked about. I have included some highlights below as well as a little more about Lynn.
Spoiler alert… one of the main things that we discuss is questions to ask a client when building out a strong commercial photography estimate. To make your life easier, I have created a client question cheat sheet so you know exactly what to ask to determine the right commercial photography rates.
If you have not been on a commercial shoot… get yourself on one. – LYNN CAMPBELL
is a freelance photo producer based in Los Angeles, CA. She has been working as a producer for over 15 years and has been in the commercial photography industry for over 25 years. In addition to her role as a producer, Lynn also offers one on one coaching for creatives through Talk it Out LA. She helps guide people through their full and best expression, while staying in their integrity and joy.
A FEW INTERVIEW HIGHLIGHTS
- The role of a photo producer during the estimating process + during the shoot.
- Taking on production tasks that are not your job as the photographer.
- What to say when your client wants to keep costs down.
- What not to sacrifice on a photo estimate.
- The dangers of underbidding on a photo job.
- Asking the right questions to build a strong photo estimate.
- What does it mean to “estimate consciously”?
- Some of the biggest blocks for photographers when building a photography quote.
- What if your client doesn’t have a lot of details on the job?
- Knowing when to walk away from a job.
- Creative fee vs. usage rates.